Vječna Vatra is a memorial to those who liberated Sarajevo during World War II and was first unveiled during a commemorative event held on April 6, 1946 for the first anniversary of the liberation of Sarajevo.
The monument is comprised of tiles that are inscribed with text in the colors of the flag of former Yugoslavia – blue, white and red – and there is a copper receptacle in the shape of a wreath of bay leaves which contains an open flame that is always burning. The flame symbolizes that Sarajevo’s liberators and the coat of arms of former Yugoslavia will be forever remembered.
This simple yet beautiful monument is the work of architect, Juraj Neidhardt. It was installed at the front of one building in the heart of Sarajevo’s walking zone, at the junction of Mula Mustafa Bašeskije, Titova and Ferhadija Streets.
The building itself was designed by Josip Vancaš and Karl Paržik. First the home of Grand Hotel, it later became the seat of the National Bank and then the Social Accounting Services and is currently the home of the Payment Bureau.